This month we will be studying Healthy Bodies. We will begin our unit by talking about the important of healthy habits, such as bathing, washing hands, exercising, etc. The second week of November, we will focus on keeping our bodies healthy and the reasons why we visit the dentist and doctor. On Nov. 14 & 15, a dentist will be visiting our school from Little Smiles Dentistry in Sellwood! Next, we will be learning about nutrition and eating healthy. We will introduce the food pyramid as well as prepare for our healthy Stone Soup Lunch.
Part of our dramatic play area will be transformed into a doctor’s office. We will also be participating in obstacle courses and even making our own toothpaste!
Some of our goals for November include:
- Recite short poems, nursery rhymes and songs
- Letter naming: uppercase vs lowercase
- Reading comprehension
- Retell, reenact, and dramatize parts of a story
- Being “read the room”
- Rote counting
- Weekly writing workshop
- Word Wall begin
- Name writing (first and last)
- Sort, classify and order objects by size, color, shape
- Putting on own shoes
- Make observations about the natural world: Nature walk/collecting leaves
- Healthy eating habits
- Healthy hygiene
- Importance of exercise
- Discuss what we are thankful for
- What is Thanksgiving?